Selling things on eBay
Christmas can really put the finances under pressure as we need to buy presents, attend lots of functions and host meals at our house. All this equals lots of spending and generally there is no more money coming in than at any other time of the year.
As well as needing extra money at Christmas, we generally also need extra space. We get gifts and if you have children, there is a huge influx of toys. Ideally, we should try and make space for these items prior to Christmas.
Now a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone is to sell some things. Take some time to go through your home. You can sell almost anything on eBay, including clothes, kitchen items as well as toys and books. So if you want to get the most for your money, here are some great tips for selling on eBay.
Like many people you have probably bought things on eBay in the past and often told yourself that you will get round to actually making some money from it rather than spending money. So if you are considering selling things on eBay here are some tips to ensure you get the most for your money:
- Do your homework: before you even consider listing your item on eBay have a look at what similar items are selling for at the moment. Make sure you are happy with this price. It is important to be realistic about the price you can expect to get before you sell something.
- Take some impressive shots: a picture tells a thousand word so make it count. If you are selling a high value item it is important to have more than one shot. Be sure to present your item well and take photos from different angles. Be sure to photograph any imperfections too.
- Carefully consider the item description: this is how people will search for you item so make sure you include brand name, style and size. All of this will help people find your item.
- Write a thorough description: Don’t be afraid to write a long description but do use bullet points or lots of new paragraphs so that people can easily scan through it.
- List your item on a Thursday for 10 days that way people have 2 weekends to view it and it will finish on a weekend, which is when eBay is most active.
- Make life easy for yourself by limiting postage to the pre-paid Australia Post satchels. This will reduce the time and money spent going to the post office and having things weighed etc.
- Always answer questions even if people ask something that has been written in the description and post it to your listing if you think it will help others.
- To minimise your listing feeds list something at 99c but be prepared to sell it for this too.
So instead of just thinking about get on and get listing – some extra money is just waiting to be made!